Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Getting to Know Gettysburg, One Trail at a Time

Note:  I'm reprinting a post I made last year (about this time) to one of my other blogs--26 Years to Live.  Lucky for me I had this post in reserve; you see, the week flew by too quickly, and I didn't get out and about to bring you a new post.  But next week, I promise to be current. Ha!

When moving to Gettysburg in October, I also moved to a national park, which during the tourism season poses certain challenges, from heavy traffic to overcrowded restaurants and more. But I suspect the advantages of living among preserved battlefields, their histories revealed in countless monuments, will far outnumber the disadvantages. The picturesque landscapes alone are worth whatever inconvenience a "tourist town" entails. Add to this an infrastructure (visitor centers, museums, tours, towers, trails, etc) specifically designed to educate and enhance the visitor's experience and you'll begin to understand my mounting enthusiasm for living in Gettysburg.

Just recently I took my dog Bridget (a black lab mix) for a walk along one of the many horse trails giving access to woodlands and battlefields and, in this instance, past grazing pastures of a large farm where a pair of braying donkeys chased two llamas far afield--not something you typically see or hear. Ha! Following the trail was an adventure, full of beauty and surprises. Who knows, maybe next time, I'll actually go by horse, though I don't think Bridget would appreciate that idea.


Till next time . . . you can walk the trail Bridget and I followed through a pictorial story on my FB page, Of the Wing:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150526464742158.398281.96113967157&type=1

Georgia Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment