Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Getting with Gettysburg

In the fall of 2011, I moved to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and am now happy to call this beautiful town my home. Its surrounding battlefields create a tranquil mood, one far removed from the raging battle fought here the first three days of July 1863.

To walk the Gettysburg Battlefield, to read its monuments, to learn its history has become my quest.  How could it not? For here the landscape carries its past to the present. Here I can climb to Big Round Top, leap the deep crevices of Devil's Den, walk Confederate Avenue behind the cannon array once aimed upon the "Copse of Trees," the central location of the Union line.  (Photo of me at the Copse of Trees taken in spring of 2012.)

I am a new comer to this compelling history and as yet know little to share, but if you'd like to learn with me, check back weekly for my latest discovery. I'll not only post on Battlefield locations, monuments, and history but also on all things Gettysburg, including museums, historic houses, restaurants and taverns, walking and horse riding trails, ghost tours--anything that would interest the Gettysburg enthusiast.

Next time . . .  Learn  the significance of the  "Copse of Trees" in the Battle of Gettysburg.  More photos, too.

Georgia Anne





No comments:

Post a Comment