Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sachs Covered Bridge

In this week's tour of Gettysburg, let's visit Pennsylvania's "most historic covered bridge in the state"--Sachs Covered Bridge.*  Built in 1852, "using a lattice system of support trusses," the Sachs Bridge spans 100 feet over Marsh Creek, where Cumberland and Freedom Townships meet. 



I first learned of this bridge while visiting my sister's shop, The Crystal Wand, a favorite of folks who enjoy the metaphysical in life, including ghost hunters.  On this particular day, a group of ghost hunters were just back from Sachs Bridge, eager to report on their encounter.  As someone new to the history of the Battle of Gettysburg, I was interested in the landmark for historic reasons and made a mental note to seek it out.

However, my mental note taking did me little good because I completely forgot about the bridge until pleasure driving one day when I happened upon it by accident.  What a treat! A more picturesque scene I couldn't have imagined--a beautiful barn red bridge crossing a wide creek.  The pictures I share now are recent, taken just a few days ago and specifically for this posting.


Beyond its beauty (and now rarity), the Sachs Covered Bridge claims its place in history because both the Union and Confederate armies crossed the bridge. As described on an onsite a plaque:

"Part of the Army of Northern Virginia began its retreat to Virginia by crossing the bridge after the Battle of Gettysburg in July of 1863."

Likewise, from Wikipedia I learned this:

"On July 1, 1863, the bridge was crossed by the two brigades of the I Corps of the Union Army heading towards Gettysburg. The III Corps also crossed the bridge heading to the Black Horse Tavern."







Here's Bridget, my black lab mix and constant companion, enjoying the view.  Here's hoping you get to enjoy it for yourself one day soon.

Till next time . . .

Georgia Anne









*Quotes taken from onsite plaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment